The classic Vietnamese Bánh mì has become a well known, delicious sandwich here in the United States as well. For our Banh-E, we used Unagi Kabayaki from our fresh eel as the protein. Together, sriracha mayo, flash pickled veggies, and our Unagi Kabayaki make for a deceptively simple but totally fantastic take on a Bánh mì.
For the Sandwich
- Butterflied fillets (grilled)
- Toasted Baguette
- Flash Pickled Veggies
For the Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Mayo
- 1/2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1/2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- Prepare butterflied fillets following our kabayaki directions.
- Make sauce and set aside.
- Cut carrots into ribbons, and thinly slice the radishes. Flash pickle the veggies by placing into distilled white vinegar then allowing them to rest in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- Slice baguette or crusty bread in half, length-wise, and toast in oven or toaster oven to desired consistency.
- Spread prepared sauce evenly on both sides of the toasted bread, and assemble the sandwich, garnishing the unagi kabayaki with sesame seeds and scallions. Enjoy!